Role of the Personal Injury Lawyer in Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless gas. Exposure to this gas can be incredibly toxic and result in death. While CO itself has no smell or color, it is mixed with an odor agent in order to make it clear when there is a gas leak.

A person exposed to even 35 ppm (parts per million) of the deadly gas will start experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning after 6 to 8 hours, although that is considered low-level. Exposure of 100 ppm is considered dangerous even for short periods of time, and in a car suicide the CO level reaches between 6,400 to 10,000 ppm, causing unconsciousness and death in a matter of minutes.

Accidental exposure to CO can be due to faulty appliances such as gas-fueled furnaces, water heaters, generators and defective equipment such as portable stoves, leaf-blowers and high pressure washers. CO poisoning can also occur when your SCUBA gear has a defective compressor or the houseboat has a faulty propulsion engine. In the workplace, CO poisoning can be due to the lack of proper ventilation, allowing CO to accumulate and reach dangerous levels. Accidental CO poisoning occurs so often that a CO detector is recommended for all households and enclosed areas of work. Because it is odorless and colorless, CO is impossible to detect without some sort of air measuring device.

CO poisoning symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea and rapid heartbeat. Any delay in the diagnosis and treatment of CO poisoning can lead to long-term neurological and cardiovascular problems, even death. If you suspect that you have been poisoned because of faulty equipment or an unsafe work environment, get medical attention at once and document your injuries. Your medical records will be an important part of the claim that your personal injury lawyer will file for you.

Powered by WordPress | Designed by Elegant Themes